analyze web stats
analyze web stats

Friday, February 17, 2006

And We're Here!

Well, we arrived in Prague today. It's hard to believe we're actually here. I guess I'd say it's been a mixture of feelings today - excited, exhausted, nervous, relieved, excited again, and so on!

We had to wake up at about 3 am this morning in order for everyone to shower and pack and be ready for the taxi's that picked us up from our hotel in London. It was about a 5 to 10 minute taxi ride to the train station that would take us to the airport. and the cab fare was 15 pounds-which is almost 30 dollars. And we had to take 2 taxis for the 4 of us because of the amount of luggage. London is definitely an expensive place.

But everything went pretty smooth. We arrived and met our Czech buddies that the school sets us up with to help us through the semester so we're not completely lost. But my Czech buddy had told me he couldn't come because he failed an exam and had to retake it the day we arrived! So everybody had to share their buddy with me.

Anyways.. we didn't do a whole lot of exploring today because we were so tired.. but we went to a pub and had our first czech beers and meal.. so far so good but I played it pretty safe with the meal! For dinner we ended up running into a bunch of the other kstate students and walked around until we found a little pizza place. We took our time there and had dinner.

Our dorm is kind of on the edge of Prague, so it's not really in a tourist area, but both places we ate the waiters understood english and spoke some too. So that was good to see! We were trying to tap into the little language we learned in our Czech class last semester.

Anyways, we can't get internet in our dorm rooms until Tuesday, so it's a little tricky getting on the internet right now. There is wireless in the lobby area, so that's where I am right now. Also, my computer decided to have issues so it's making it all the more stressful! Whatever it is that makes the computer screen glow is broken, so the screen is super dark and I have to have a lamp directly above it to see anything.
So somehow I hope I can get that fixed!!

We have orientation next week starting on Monday, so hopefully a lot of our questions we have will be answered then!

Okay! I better go! Anybody can leave me some comments by pressing on "0 comments" below the post. I would be excited to get some!
I'll be able to better post these when I'm not in obscure places trying to leave these posts. So, sorry if they're long and boring!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Mac, Glad you are there. I know your luggage weighed a lot, because the airport guy weighed it at 130#'s. Ha Ha. Are you roomming with Laura? What's the dorm set up?
have a great weekend.
Loveya, mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Mac!
I'm glad you finally got to Prague. Too bad your Prague buddy failed his test. Have you gotten to meet him yet? Better yet, is he single? haha, just kidding, I know you're there for the education, not boys and cheap beer. :) Anyways, I enjoy reading your blogs, I didn't know you were quite the little writer. Have fun and hope the computer thing gets fixed!

See ya,
Jess

Anonymous said...

HI MacKenzie, sounds like so far so good. You have such a good attitude about your luggage,your computer, your Prague buddy-good for you. Have you started classes yet? I love reading about your experience. Enjoy, make the most of it.

Love, Aunt Nancy